- Happy New Year 🙂
- We moved to our new office this week.
- Rozenn is working hard to get all illustrations ready in time. The update shows some great head cards.
- Darwin’s Choice is on rank 5 in Tom Vasel’s “Best Artwork 2019”!
- Tim has chosen his card. All expansions of Darwin’s Choice now get a Small body card “Pink Fairy Armadillo”. Thanks Tim!
- We will not be able to produce an “Big Box” for Darwin’s Choice (was a question of some backers during the campaign).
- As a small Christmas present “Darwin’s Choice – Before and After” will receive 4 additional cards.
- Soundtrack of the Week: “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Soundtrack“.
Happy new year 😊 I hope you all had a great holiday season and enjoyed the time with family and friends. In this update I have a lot to tell, so let’s get started right away.
This week the focus was mainly on the move to our new office. Within two days we had everything set up. Luckily our office is right across the hallway from our “old” office i.e. we only had to push our furniture through the corridor and were already there. In the new office we have much more space and therefore we could move our warehouse into our office. Before that our warehouse was in the same building but two floors below. Now we have everything in one place and that is so much better, I love it! The new warehouse is my favorite place in the new office, no joke xD
(Room-Tour by Samuel 🙂
Rozenn was again very busy 😊 and has sent me several new illustrations, here is a selection of new stunning head cards. The Spectacled bear is maybe my favorite head card of all time. So beautiful!
Then another very cool news, Darwin’s Choice was voted by Tom Vasel (Dice Tower) on 5th place of the “Best Artwork 2019” 😊 that makes us very proud. All credit to Rozenn, she is doing an incredible job. Here the VIDEO.
Tim chose his card 🙂 he chose the Pink Fairy Armadillo as his Small Body card, what a cool choice. Thanks a lot Tim! This card will be added to all expansions.
During the campaign 2-3 backers asked me to clarify if it would be possible to produce a big box in which the base game, the expansion and the encyclopedia would fit (= produce an “all in one” Darwin’s Choice). I have thought about this carefully and additionally asked for several quotes, so that I can make a well-informed decision. After considering all the facts, we decided against making such a box. There are many reasons for this decision, here is a short overview…
- Besides the second production run for the base game and the first one for the expansion, we would have to run an additional production run for the “Big Box” i.e. 6 production runs (because all German and English) with 1000 copies each = 6000 copies. This would be very expensive and quite a risk for us.
- Many of our backers already have the base game box and would not want to buy the base game again. Additionally, some backers only want the encyclopedia, some only the base game + expansion and some only the base game etc. the “Big Box” would take away a lot of flexibility from us.
- Retail is mainly interested in the base game, not the expansion (= expansion usually have way lower selling numbers than a base games). Therefore, a Big Box with a higher price would lower our “retail potential”.
- A Big Box would of course have a much higher price than the base game. It’s difficult to sell such a product at a convention (where people have very limited money). Even the base game with a fair price of 45 CHF does not sell by itself.
- We have a business deal with the Swiss post so that we can send packages from Switzerland for a reasonable price to most countries of the world. But this deal includes only packages below 2kg. A Big Box would be above 2kg and for packages like this the price skyrockets.
You know me, if it would have been somehow possible, we would have done this, but unfortunately there are too many reasons against it. But since both boxes and the book have the same format, you can place all products perfectly next to each other on the shelf.
Then a little surprise. I have looked at the proposal list together with the team and we have decided to give you a small Christmas present i.e. “Darwin’s Choice – Before and After” gets 4 additional cards.
- Satanic leaf-tailed gecko – Tail: Of all the animal species suggested, this is the one that impressed me the most. This camouflage is just perfect.
- Hallucigenia – Small body: What a weird species XD looks just perfect for Darwin’s Choice and fits perfectly as a prehistoric species.
- Spotted Handfish – Double Legs: This species was suggested by a backer who works very hard to keep it alive (it is critically endangered). That’s why I simply had to include this species in the game.
- Pterodaustro – Head: Of all the species that lost a vote, this one was my favorite. Its teeth are a perfect example for evolution. What a masterpiece!
I hope you are happy with the selection and with this little Christmas present.
Now I just wish you a great week 😊 thank you very much for reading the update! We will read again in two weeks, next week Samuel will most likely tell you more about the encyclopedia.
With best regards,
Marc, Elio and Samuel
PS: A detail about me, I always listen to music when I’m working, so from now on I will always tell you my “Soundtrack of the week”, maybe you’re interested. At the moment I listen to “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Soundtrack“. The Witcher 3 is such a great game (for me the perfect game) and since I’m reading the Witcher books at the moment, I hear the soundtrack up and down.