Summary of the update:
- 91% of all backers have filled out our Pledge Manager from “Gamefound”
- Final design of the encyclopedia is presented with an example.
- All still living animals from the offered stretch goal (14 & 15) will also be part of Darwin’s Encyclopedia.
- Soundtrack of the week: Parcels – Tieduprightnow
It has been three weeks since we put the Pledge Manager online. We are very happy how fast it was filled out by you, our backers. 91% have already successfully completed the Pledge Manager. Now that we can estimate how big the production quantity should be, we can place the production order in the following week. Therefore, we are very grateful for the quick completion of the orders and hope that the remaining 9% will be able to complete it relatively quickly as well. This way we will be able to deliver the order to everyone without any delay and problems.
What we show you now with great excitement is the final design of the animal entries. The brother of Marc, who is a graphic designer and has a good eye for details, has helped us a lot in the last weeks to make some helpful design changes. The best thing to do is to have a look yourself how an animal entry will look like:
Now let us briefly explain the following symbols and changes:
- Title, main text and “Fun Fact” are now displayed on the right side. This results in more space on the left side, i.e. the maps have more room and we generally have more flexibility. The left side appears a little white, but this is important because the spine of the book will be there and will take up space.
- The cutout for the “Fun Fact” is now larger. This was especially important to us because we would like to show Rozenn’s artwork bigger.
- The colored circle element with the curved lines has been revised and looks more natural now.
- Since the map below the sketch does not exactly define in which habitat the animals live in, we decided to show the information with new habitat symbols, which are located beside the globe icon. Therefore, Rozenn needs to draw some new icons. The rain forest and temperate forest icons will be added to the lyrebirds habitat.
- The new design uses both the Imperial System and the Metric unit system. We have done our best to find an optimal way to display both systems for every entry.
- As with the test model, each animal class will have its own color code. The birds will have the new shade of yellow.
- In total, we will use over 100 symbols in our encyclopedia. But you don’t have to worry, each symbol will have a detailed explanation at the beginning of the encyclopedia.
I hope you like the final arrangement as much as we do 🙂 If you have any feedback or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. Your opinion is always very important to us and we will take your request to heart. It is also important to mention that the texts have not yet been intensively proofread. So, there is no need to worry in case you find a mistake 🙂
By the way, there is also a reason why I show you the superb lyrebird as an example. Although the written text describes the animal very well, it is really impressive to hear its mimicry with your own ears. Therefore, it would be great if you could watch the following video. The superb lyrebird shows what he’s really capable of especially towards the end. Absolutely impressive! If Sir Attenborough wouldn’t be commenting on it, I would assume that this is a fake.
Otherwise, the progress of the encyclopedia is going very well. It is very time-consuming, but we are on schedule and will be able to show you more examples on an ongoing basis. In a few weeks you will surely be shown everything and get the chance to take a closer look at all the entries and to proofread them.
What is also important for you to know is that the stretch goals (14 & 15) we offered you will also be included in the encyclopedia. We have discussed this internally once again in detail. It wouldn’t make sense for us if parts of the game wouldn’t appear in the corresponding animal encyclopedia. It is also not our attitude to make things half finished. In the end we want to achieve absolute perfection in all our products. Accordingly, every non-extinct animal is described in the encyclopedia to ensure the best possible experience for our supporters.
Now there is nothing left for me to do but to wish you a pleasant week. I am looking forward to giving you an update soon again. Until then, I wish you all the best.
With best regards,
Samuel, Marc and Elio