- In this update we will present the Encyclopedia (German) to you. We are grateful for any help with the proofreading.
- The English version will follow next week.
- This update replaces this week’s weekly update on Sunday.
- Soundtrack of the week: Oh Wonder – Hallelujah (Unplugged)
I hope you had a great week 🙂 we finally can present you all animal entries of the encyclopedia (only German atm). For all English-speaking backers, please read this update nevertheless, because the English version will follow next week, and I will explain many things that are also true for the English version.
First of all, sorry that we kept you waiting, the German version of the Encyclopedia was planned for the first half of the week. We were actually ready on Wednesday, but then we noticed some problems with the distribution maps (e.g. dimensions, position, coloring) and to fix all 304 maps took quite some time. In addition, we have very high demands on our work, i.e. we don’t give you a draft that we have never read and looked through before. But now everything is ready and meets our demands for a good draft, so that we can show it to you for the first time.
In this DROPBOX you can find the animal entries of the Encyclopedia. In addition, I also included the short and long animal facts texts as Word documents. Before you start having a look at it, please finish reading this update, because it contains important information and answers many potential questions in advance.
First, a few important remarks:
- This file is a draft i.e. it is far from “production readiness”. But it is good enough that we can show it to you. Before we will submit it for production, we will have a final precise look at all entries and will check all the details one after another.
- The pictures in this PDF file are quite blurred and this is intended. We have promised both Rozenn and Yuji that we will never put their illustrations online in high resolution, so no one can steal them. In the contracts we signed with them it is exactly regulated what we are allowed to do with their illustrations and what not. We have to respect these contracts. In the finished book, however, everything will of course be in razor-sharp resolution.
- The font used for the names shows strange black lines. We always have this problem, when we use this font in PDFs (was already the case with the base game and is called “stitching”). Nothing to worry about, because the lines won’t be printed in the final product.
- In the PDF you will only find the 304 animal entries i.e. the cover, the legend for the icons, the glossary etc. are missing. They will follow next week and will of course be included in the final product.
Then important information for all readers of the file. This information also applies to the English file as soon as it is ready.
- I’m grateful for every little tip, i.e. even if you just skim the file and notice a detail, spelling error etc., please let me know by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing a comment.
- If you want to proofread the whole file or even a part of it for us, we would be very grateful! In order to estimate how many helpers, we have, it would be great, if you could just let me know in a short comment or email (see my email address above). Because then I know, who is in and for who I have to wait regarding the submission of their corrections. All proofreaders will be immortalized with their names in the Encyclopedia (it’s voluntary).
- No matter if you read the whole file (and found several mistakes) or if you just find one small mistake, I would be glad if you would tell me by email about your findings. Please always tell me the page number, animal species and the exact error (with its position). Alternatively, you can download the Word files in my Dropbox. Just document your corrections with the Word correction function and send the files to me by email.
- As I know, we have many zoologists and biologists among our backers, so if somebody finds factual errors, I am very happy for a hint! I know that some of our backers even wrote studies about certain animal species in the encyclopedia. Please help us to make this right 😉
- With certain animals we don’t have all facts. Such “missing facts” are marked as “N/A”. If you know the “solution” for such an empty spot, because of your profession or because you keep these animals yourself, then I would be very happy if you would tell me.
- If we have forgotten to write something very important, let me know, but we only have 218 characters (incl. spaces) for the small texts and 443 (incl. spaces) for the big ones. The space is limited and therefore it’s impossible to write about everything.
- I would be happy if I could have the corrections of the German version by Wednesday 11th March. (but like always, the earlier the better :))
- Thanks a lot for your help, even if you just find one tiny mistake, I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
As I said, the English version will follow sometime between now and Sunday 8th of March. Our English is good (from my perspective xD), but we don’t feel as confident as with German, because it is not our mother tongue. That’s why, unlike with the German file, a skilled proofreader will look through the complete file before we show it to you. Many thanks in advance for all who will help us with the English version of the encyclopedia. Now I just wish you a wonderful weekend and read you soon,
With best regards,
Marc, Elio and Samuel
PS: There will be no update on Sunday, because with this update everything important has already been said for this week. We have worked like crazy to make it in time 🙂
PPS: Mantis shrimp are awesome 🙂 and very badass.